Tuesday, July 21, 2009

shanghai special 2: the night before

SHANGHAI - In a sudden moment of epiphany, the members of the UP Astronomical Society Shanghai Solar Eclipse Team realized that, contrary to earlier speculation, there is no lumpiang shanghai in Shanghai. Hahaha.

With less than 24 hours before the eclipse of the century begins, I'm getting more nervous by the minute. We just concluded our last briefing before we go to Jinshanwei. Call time would be at 5 AM sharp. I hope I wake up on time. It wouldn't do for me to be left behind - I've been waiting for this moment for the longest time.

Spirits are high among the members of Team Shanghai. Even the news of approaching storms did nothing to dampen the excitement of the people here. While the weather forecast for tomorrow still shows overcast skies and thunderstorms, and even if the weather agency here has all but conceded that the eclipse would be spoiled by the clouds, everyone here is still hoping for the best.

Precautions are being taken, however. In case clouds cover the sky over Jinshanwei, the team will then move to an alternate site at Jiaxing, another town to the west of Jinshanwei. Hopefully, we woudn't have to move at all. Hahaha.

The people here are all writing their personal blogs about the eclipse. This is mine. I'm excited about the eclipse. I'm nervous about the weather. I'm afraid of screwing up tomorrow. I'm thinking of the people back home in Manila, where the weather is even worse than what we have here in Shanghai.

I'll be signing off now. The next update will be from the sunny beaches of Jinshanwei. Clear skies, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment